Thursday 15 September 2011

I’ve arrived not entirely safely but nevertheless still alive...

The flight happened without incidence and with only a short delay.  So what was I worried about for those 7 long hours on board watching The Pirates of the Caribbean: On stranger tides, Source code and Bridesmaids (again)?  Only the vision of the contents of my luggage flung over the baggage carousel at Accra.  Knowing it consisted of an odd assortment of items; a wind up lantern, marmite, pegs, marmite, washing line, marmite, stationary, surge protectors, but mainly of individual tampax squished into every available space, I was worried. Worried for the embarrassment of having to pick them all up one by one (or god forbid people stealing them – well they are expensive over here). Luckily the vision didn’t materialise and I arrived in Accra met by the VSO reps with my dignity intact.  That was, until, on the bus a wooden chair fell from the top of the pile of suitcases onto my head on the way to the hotel in Accra.  I have a bruise to prove it.  Never mind… I have spent the last few days enjoying the bed as hard as a table, the balcony overlooking the pool, the morning swims before breakfast, the wifi and food packed with carbs. When you are fed carbs for breakfast, morning snacks, lunch, afternoon snacks and dinner you know the vision of the svelte new you rocking back to the UK after a year in Africa is just a vision.  Thank goodness for my roomie Samina.  A girl after my own heart, yet calm and sane; and (you’ll never guess it) a fellow Cambridgeite.  Small world.  A very small world.

1 comment:

  1. swimming before breakfast sounds lovely and is sure to cancel out some of those carbs x

    ReplyDelete