Monday 27 February 2012

Placement extension


Predictable.  That’s me.  

I'm nearly 6 months in and as many of you know the original placement was for two years.  I agreed to do a year but held off on the second year as I was hoping the Australian visa would come through in the meantime and I don’t like to let people down.  The visa hasn’t arrived and there is more work to do in Ghana.  Mostly though, I’m enjoying Ghana - the experience; I know I may appear to not enjoy it a lot in this blog but I'm a realist; I like to share the reality.  It’s not easy here, but what life is? As a pragmatist I realise I have it a lot easier than most Ghanaians so should feel very lucky.  And I do.  I feel very lucky to have had this opportunity to have had this experience.   ‘This is Ghana’ and the longer I’m here the more I can see through the dust, dirt and shit and the more I get to know the people.  So, despite the pull of; a new nephew or niece, catching up with friends, godchildren, family…. having lunch at the Snug, drinks at the B bar, mum’s boiled bacon, winter woo cocktails at the Sung, Jamie Oliver’s amazing olives….. no dust and reliable water and electricity… I'm staying. I’m in it for the long run… well a couple of years at least.  The placement extension of an additional year has been approved in principle.

I am planning a trip home at the end of July… in five months.  Plan to stay for August. Figure I can see my new niece/nephew, catch up with friends, godchildren, family…. have lunch at the Snug, drinks at the B bar, mum’s boiled bacon, winter woo cocktails at the Sung (or maybe July is more the season for a mojito or two!), Jamie Oliver’s amazing olives …..  and have the joyful experience of no dust and reliable water and electricity before settling down for year two… Looking forward to planning a fun packed summer catching up with you all and those I have yet to meet; namely Baby H-M and Baby Green…

Now I just have to fill in the arduous extension paperwork… wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment