Monday 19 December 2011

MSO/TSO meeting


After sat watching my ankle swell for far too long and considering how it resembled at times the belly of a pregnant goat I got round to suggesting/offering to organise a TSO meeting for the Northern regions. TSO stands for the role of ‘Teacher Support Officer.  Officially it would seem I am an SSO (Science Support Officer) which is effectively a Science TSO.  A TSO meeting was due, in fact slightly over due and us newbee’s (from the September intake) were keen to share our thoughts and find out more about various ‘big issues’ related to our role. I didn't want to put out any of the established vols but it would seem that I had some time to spare where as other who were mobile didn't, so it was agreed I would organise the meeting. I turned into an OCD meeting organiser, determined to run a tight ship for the two day meeting and prove it was doable even in Ghana; even if only to myself. The meeting was budgeted for and agreed on by the programme office.  Dates were agreed after some hurried phone calls and the promise of  the long trip coinciding with a party for those travelling from afar (making the gruelling 7 hour trip much palatable especially when having to contend with a 5 hour break down..) made for a much more agreeable invitation compared to a simple 2 day TSO meeting.  Accommodation was found for those travelling; the invites were extended to MSO’s (management support officers).  Attendees were fed watered and snacked up enough to give appropriate, insightful, interesting and valid inputs.  The meeting was a success; it started on time, finished on time (give or take a few minutes as opposed to hours), agenda items were observed, minuted, actioned, responsibility shared and deadlines given. A ‘SMART’, sharp meeting took place and I realised how much I missed the ‘western approaches’ to all things professional.  I do hope however that I hadn't been missing it so much that the meeting went far more the other way and was, shall I say, too ‘mechanical’ with not enough ‘organic’ elements….maybe I should have surrendered to the opening and closing prayers by way of acknowledging our meeting was in Ghana…..hummm.  The feedback was positive, even the mopped floor and rearranged seating was appreciated.  It was obvious that we had a great bunch of proactive MSO/TSO’s.  Maybe there could be some progress in the development context in the northern regions in Ghana?  On the other hand, maybe that’s too much to ask for…

TSO's working hard?!

No comments:

Post a Comment