Wednesday 21 December 2011

The sound of silence...


I had been asked to run a session for an NGO (non government organisation) based in another district to that I live in.  The session was to form part of a STIME (Science, Technology, Innovation and Maths Education) residential camp with a 3:4 ratio of girls: boys, promoting Science Technology Innovation and Maths alongside ‘the girl child’ (it’s one of those Ghanaian English terms).There were to be forty children in total to attend.  I set a simple task for children with a skills focus on team work, they were to design and make a bridge out of newspaper.  This particular NGO who had requested support has the words ‘education’ and ‘inclusion’ in its name in some way.  This is an important fact; keep it in mind as you read on...  I sent an e mail request for the ‘small small’ (Ghanaian English) requirements for the session a couple of weeks in advance of it due to happen. The day before the boundaries set were changed, ten more children were to be included; five students from the deaf school (but only because it was being held there) and five disabled students from mainstream school…(great idea, all about inclusion…but why wasn’t it thought about before?)  He suggested I group all the disabled children together… I suggested that in promoting ‘inclusion’, If he was happy, I would in fact have one boy and disabled child in a group with 3 girl children..…’yes, yes, yes!’ he said ‘great idea we must include… but how will they talk to each other we only have one interpreter?’…’they can use their hands to gesture and write down things…’ I said flummoxed ‘it will all help to promote them working as a team on the problem set’.  In order for the deaf children's experience to be as good as the others I needed to amend things, write teaching and learning resources for the session etc as now my voice would not be enough and, not for the first time in my life, I regretted once more never learning sign.  Plan B commenced.  On the day I had a lot to do.  The session wasn’t to start until 2.30 pm but I needed to get to Navrongo to pick up some photocopying I had done for a session I am to run next year (a 60km round trip and apparently cheaper than Bolga). Around 10.15am I received a text from a VSO colleague who was also supporting the camp: 'utter mayhem here.  Not enough children. We are basically out in the car trying to grab children off the street to make up numbers! No electricity in the dining room either! Already sat around since 7.30am.  Matthew* just arrived.'  That text arrived at 10.16 am.  Mathew is the 'organiser'.  It would seem that my session was unlikely to be at 2.30 . The need for electricity was stipulated in an email 2 weeks ago along with my other list of requirements but it wasn’t necessary and, following the reply from my colleague, clearly not available... 'plan B' scrapped.... better get Plan C into action....  I did wonder why I was bothering to get Plan C into action for my 90 minute session when the ‘organiser’ barely appeared to be using his own Plan A for the two days worth of activities and a residential stay.  In fact plan A for Matthew appeared to be simply following a set of words in order on a page but ignoring any reference to timings.  I discovered this when I eventually caught up with him about 3.30pm.  He appeared to want to just plough through every item on the itinerary for the day come what may, no matter how long it was going to take.  We had to leave at 5/5.30pm at the latest as we had a 40 minute ride home on some dodgy roads and we didn't fancy doing it in the dark.  The judges who had arrived at about 1.30 to do the judging of the Science projects were understandably cheesed off at the disorganisation (as too was I and I am still unsure as to how I didn't crack). 
Cow dung project

Something to do with rice project - I can't remember

Motion project

I suggested that he keep The ‘Judging Science projects’ session as the children had done the work for it and the judges where there and scrap mine and move the final session to the following day… he made some noises about me doing mine the next day (Saturday) too but I had made it clear previously I was travelling to Tamale so would be unable to help on the second day.  Ali and I had spent the afternoon making teaching and learning materials from the power point that was unable to be shown so it was slightly irritating it didn't happen but I can use it all again in a different way. 
On the plus side, we did spend time with the children from the deaf school – the venue for the camp, observing, communicating of sorts and generally getting a feel for the school which we probably wouldn’t have done had we had just gone in for what we were supposed to do. 
My deaf child friend
Trying to get this child to smile was amazingly funny!  

Can you see me at the back?  We were swarmed when the camera came out... they all wanted to be in the 'snap'!


The site was eerily quiet, even at dinner time in the huge hall.
A very quiet lunchtime

A lunch table

It was a strange feeling to have what appeared to be a successful school with out the hustle and bustle of a mainstream school. From afar the institution looks like a prison, solid green and white walls surround the massive site.  Buildings are spread haphazardly across the site making it a mammoth journey to get from the main entrance to the dining hall.  The toilets….I’ll leave it there for fear of vomiting…suffice to say my bladder was full.

Two things shocked me that day.  One when I was beckoning (the Ghanaian way) some deaf children to help move some furniture, a District Assembly (equivalent of our local council) worker said ‘they cannot, they are deaf and dumb you know’.  This shocked me as it implied you cannot attempt to converse with deaf people if you cannot sign (something Ali and I had been doing quite well all afternoon) and two; the use of the word ‘dumb’.  In this context the double meaning of not just unable to talk but unable to do as she seemed to be implying… which from my 5 hours in the school was not the case at all; very observant and hard working and helpful kids I would say.  Far from ‘dumb’. I ignored her and successfully communicated what was needed and the 4 children understood perfectly.  The second shocker involved the member of staff involved with the camp there to sign for the 5 children who were on it.  I was very aware we had a lot of deaf children hanging around desperate to see what was going on in their school that they were not invited to.  I was also aware it was 4pm and school was out, they were just hanging, waiting for food and bed (it was a boarding school).  I suggested to Matthew that the children could sit at the back and watch the science projects get judged and the interpreter could sign for all so they could see and understand what was going on.  Matthew agreed and I went to fill in the interpreter who said, and I quote, ‘Fine, but I hope I’m going to get paid for this’…  How I didn’t punch her lights out I don’t know…
*Name changed

No comments:

Post a Comment