Saturday 1 September 2012

Meet-ups and break-ins


For the last month I’ve been home, in England’s [cold, wet,] green and pleasant land.  It’s been quite a mixture of emotions really.  Had a super fun time catching up with people; I’ve had family meet-ups, good friend meet-ups, spa day meet-ups, new baby meet-ups, Newmarket race meet-ups, surprise meet-ups, old time meet-ups, ‘godchildren’ meet-ups, new friend meet-ups, New Zealand travel buddy meet-ups, Ghana volunteer reunion meet-ups, old colleague meet-ups, fellow PGCEer meet-ups.  I’ve travelled through Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Guildford and Hereford (England’s true green and pleasant land… bloody gorgeous) and a few counties in between.  In what? I hear you cry; in a Peugeot 206 souped-up with every ‘sporty accessory’ possible; aka ‘Heaven’ - for a 17 year old boy (not a 37 year old woman)…. Still it had an invaluable sat nav which only went off the boil twice sending me to places far flung from where I should have been.  I missed the man on the corner giving me directions; ‘turn left at the baobab tree and right after the large pile of rocks, when you past the goats it won’t be far’…. I haven’t seen everyone nearly as much as I would have liked (including family) and some people I haven’t seen at all…. Really sorry, you are of course welcome to visit me in Ghana.  Fancy riding pillion on my moto?!  If not we must ensure we meet this time next year, before I go off the Oz… 
Coming back I’ve realised (or been reminded) of a number of things; I can survive perfectly well without Eastenders, BB etc in my life… they were not missed in the year I was away and I have had no desire to reconnect with them on this visit. I still ache for a house like those they show on Escape to the Country, I love antiques and old things (there is something about the history of England that cannot be recreated anywhere else in the world) and I would still like to buy a house at an auction.  I’ve really missed my doona and hot showers and Cambridge retailers are surprisingly friendlier than when I left (no they really are… noted on several occasions!).  It’s also clear that I really was born to live in a warm (if not hot) climate and what’s more, I am broody as hell (highlighted further due to new babies Eadie, Charlie and Isla who were born while I was away and are totally gorgeous).
The main reason for coming home was because I was to be an Auntie.  Being an Auntie has been fab, not nearly enough cuddles though, I’ve tried ever so hard not to overwhelm Button (and Buttons mum) with the over exuberant baby focused cooing that I am known to do.  It’s been tough to step back when a) I know I’ve only got limited cuddle time and b) I came to help as much as I could and my sis clearly is doing so very well… I do hope I’m as good when/if it happens to me. Can you believe I’ve only changed two Button nappies… so unlike me!  Luckily I made up for it visiting Charlie and Isla!!
There have been other incredible parts to my holiday home apart from seeing friends, family and new babies, having hot showers, using my doona and driving a car. Food.  As much cheese in as many varieties as I desire, milk and yogurt every day, olives by the ten dozen and enough pickle to pickle my insides…I’ve dined at the Snug and Las Iguanas, Chez Webb, Chez Brown, The Elm and had my fav mum made meal.  I’ve had a Starbucks frappaccino, a M&S sandwich, lunch at The Orchard and other yummy lunch venues.  I’ve managed to amass any small amount of weight I may have lost on one year and some more to boot in a mere month.  Marvellous.
I’ve had to spend a lot of time, too much time, sorting out finances (or lack of them) and the house with a change of tenants and various things to sort out … paperwork seems to have multiplied and expanded beyond what is truly necessary in the year I’ve been away.  Boring. It’s also meant I haven’t quite got as much of my Post Grad in Development done as I had planned over this month… kind of regretting saying yes to that one now I’m snowed under with everything else.  With reading, assignments to do and a piece of Action Research to complete, alongside working out exactly when and how I’m going to Oz and what the hell I’m going to do once I get there, next year could be quite hectic.
There has been a huge blight on an otherwise great trip.  My Bolga house has been robbed.  In the first break-in (yes, there was more than one…) they stole my moto, helmet, mattresses and some smaller bits’ and pieces from a friend (some sentimental rather than expensive) that they removed with her suitcase.  The second time they stripped the house of anything else which was mildly worth nicking.  They took the remaining mattresses, the fridge freezer, the gas hob and the gas bottle along with other smaller bits and pieces that I’ve tried to figure out before I go back so I can take it back with me.  I was luckily that the second robbery was discovered while I was away in Guildford.  My stress and panic at others having to deal with my shit and the disappointment of the likely hood of someone in my local area having done the job and me possibly knowing him was much reduced due to the hilarity and drunken jokes/songs the steeling of the fridge freezer bought… they were ready to pack me off with a replacement – a cool box!!  I had an amazing network of people both volunteers and local people headed by the amazing Leela who helped to discover the thief and get some of the stuff from the second robbery back.  Neighbours and good friends Hanana and Mohammed noticed the break in, organised the house to be secured, phoned the police and explained in local language the series of events and what had been taken.  Lewis the VSO Penguin (VSO Penguins probably need further explanation…but later) and his policeman friend instigated the eventual police raid (with loaded riffles).  Even the landlord got involved having been accused of being involved as he had been at the property the day before the first robbery and wanted/needed to clear his name.  Leela was the one who held it all together liaising with everyone and managing to support getting a new detective to deal with the case.  The first only working on the case if he was being bribed… Unfortunately I do not know the full extent of what went on all I know is they have all helped me out so much.  How do you thank a bunch of amazing people like that? Think I’ll have a lot of paying back to do.  Unfortunately the thief is yet to be arrested but was known as a ‘bad egg’ by the locals and had only just come back from a stint away in a Ghanaian jail.
The greatest thing about going home was the support I received in a number of different ways; one of my Uncle’s was even trying to get me a slot at his Rotary Club meeting to try to get more funds.  Unfortunately a slot couldn’t be found before I went back but what a lovely thought!  Support has been given in words and encouragement for doing volunteering, which people seem to think is a mad, hard but wonderful thing to do (to be honest it’s not all that hard at all… in fact I feel a little bit of a fraud to hear it all as I’m enjoying it so much and doesn’t in the whole scheme of things seem like a chore).  Support via money from friends and family who gave generously. I amassed in one day nearly 600 pounds sterling to take back to Mama Laadi’s Foster Home in Bolga.  This equate to sufficient Ghana Cedi to support one child in the home for nearly one year. Finally enough gifts to take back to ground a plane; books, clothes, stationary, Olympic memorabilia, bags and some toys… things to make small children very happy.  I feel very lucky to have such supportive and generous friends and family.  You are the amazing ones. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment