Monday 17 September 2012

Turkey wielding wizards



It’s been the strangest thing to get back, not least because I had the aftermath of the break-ins to deal with.  I had a good attitude.  Be strong – don’t let the thieving bastard win and this is despite a 3rd break-in that happened more or less a week after my second break-in.  Thankfully this was not in my house.  Unfortunately it was in another volunteer’s house in the neighbouring region, in the next biggest town south of Bolga, about a 3 hours drive away. This is Penny’s* house.   She is 71 years old, to look at her you may think she was older… Ghana has not suited her health wise; she has lost a lot of weight (she didn’t need too) and frankly looks like she could be blown over in the next puff of wind.  Frail I would say in body… but not in mind. She lives’ there with Rachel* (in her 60’s), the lady who has a room set up at my house and splits her time between mine and Penny’s house, although spends more time at Penny’s…. She and I had stuff stolen in the Bolga robbery. Abby*, a Bolga volunteer was travelling so just happened to be staying there that night.  Their break-in involved banging on the gate, which led them to open the door; Unfortunately two Muslim men had already hauled themselves over the wall and were hiding behind the door, they pushed their way in using machetes as weapons. The women spent a significant time bound and gagged and had all their things taken.  It would appear they had been staking the house out for some time as the asked where the white man was, unfortunately the white man only stayed their occasionally and wasn’t there on that day.  Clearly I’m much better off that they are, having not been subjected to a physical attack, (although no one was actually hurt in this thankfully).  Rachel and Abby went to Accra while Penny decided to go straight back to the house… everyone dealing with the emotional aftermath in their own way.  But what was clear from Rachel and Abbys recollections of events was that hindsight and the ability to laugh about such things is a real healer.  You might be wondering how one can laugh about being bound and gagged…It seem there are two types of criminals in Ghana, the stupid and cowardly who get caught (‘my guy’ – more on ‘White Spot’ later) and the just plain stupid.  The 3rd break in involved the ‘just plain stupid’ kind.  They were described as young men, Muslim who had clearly been watching too many movies and this robbery was quite possibly their first.  You see the binding wasn’t enough to hold the women’s hands bound together, they just pretended it was, leaving them free to defend themselves should it become necessary and the gagging was also somewhat of a failure.  When discovering an unopened bottle of single malt whisky in Penny’s wardrobe the stupido robber took the moral high ground, aghast that this elderly woman should be drinking.  It would seem that no one had had the conversation with them about where, morally, robbing people sat on that ‘morality continuum’. Oh, the irony of being robbed while the robber gives you addressing down about your drinking habits.  One stupido robber also found it acceptable to place the machete next to the badly gagged and bound woman he was holding against her will and then turn his back on her.  She considered the possibility of grabbing it and whacking him round the head with it but rightly so, with another stupido arse in the house, decided against it.  I firmly believe that such sharp items are more dangerous the more stupid the person holding them is, so I feel, a wise decision indeed by the white woman being held against her will...
*Names have been changed
My welcome home from Leela and Hanana was this bunting and a house that had been turned the right way up... god love those girls!

After just a few hours sleep having arrived from Accra in the early hours of the morning, I was shouted at in the usual way by Redwana from across the road, excited to tell me ‘He is back, the Teif is back, now go and tell the police!’ (Ghanaians don’t pronounce their ‘th’s’; dat is de way don’t you know…) Me telling the ever present patrolling police of this remarkable development led to around 20 police men and women assembling en mass in the space of about 3 minutes then splitting in two to surround and dramatically arrest ‘White Spot’ (unusually speedy behaviour for Ghana).  White Spot being the stupid thieving coward of a man that broke into my house twice (although there is no evidence for him doing me over the first time) with his stupid cowardly thieving mates.  I don’t know White Spot (thank god – it was a fear I had), probably because two weeks before he was thieving from my house he was locked up in jail.  His compounds is just two compounds behind mine and unfortunately he has a mother and a brother who have been protecting him (mother and brother are up for charges of harbouring a criminal – yeay!). White Spot is very stupido.  He has a very distinguishing feature. A perfect circular patch of white hair in the middle of his black hair on the back of his head.  For a robber who spends most of his time running away with his back to you, you would have thought either a different profession or some hair dye was in order. I had the ‘pleasure’ of riding with White Spot in the police truck and spoke, more like spat at him in a very ‘Mad white woman’ kind of way asking him why he did it while I listened to him telling me it wasn’t him and telling me ‘Madam, soon you will know, it was not me’.  I asked him how old he was and which school he went to. As he was 15 he told me he went to Abilba #1.  I told him I would be having words with the head teacher.  The policemen just laughed telling me he was not 15, he was lying.  Lying to my f***ing face so he would go to borstal rather than prison.  What an arsehole. I wanted to punch his lights out but given I was sharing the truck with 5 Kalashnikov brandishing policemen I thought better of it.  Anyway I knew he was going to have to share that hideous, rat infested, hot, sweaty cell with a million other naked men until his case went to trial… I took comfort in that. Who would have known I ran an Amnesty International club in a previous life?
With all this having gone on, despite my initial bravado, I was a little wobbly.  Still I managed night 1 perfectly fine, although in hindsight I didn’t sleep all that well.  Still, positive attitude remained.  Don’t let the bastard get you down, this continued into night two until about 2.30 -3pm, when I heard a bit of noise in what seemed to be my compound, beside my bedroom window by the poly tank… something like plastic buckets being moved around on concrete.  Not too long later I was brave enough to go and check this noise by poking my head through the louvered window slats (not brave enough to go outside I might add)… bravado quickly diminishing…I saw some shadows but convinced myself that my mind was playing tricks on me and spent the rest of the night fitfully sleeping trying to grab the remnants of any bravado that might be hanging around in the ether with my head firmly under the covers… coz it’s safer there.  The next morning, tired but alive, I ventured out to Hanana’s shop to pick up some bread.  It was at this point I realised I couldn’t get out of my compound; someone had pulled the gate latch on the outside, and locked me in.  I opened the house back up, grabbed my phone and phoned Hanana to get her to let me out. Before I got back to my gate she was telling me the gate was open, I felt like I was going mad. I tentatively opened the gate fully only to see a small boy, maybe 7 years old outside the gate with a whacking great big smile on his face looking like he needed a damn good wash. I asked him what he was doing.  It was at this point he started to laugh at me. A real full on chilling, evil laugh, (clearly heightened by the madness which was evolving in my mind).  ‘Someone in your compound’, ‘Someone in your compound’ was all I could understand from him.  I tentatively walked back up to the house only to be dumfounded by what was on my veranda table.  Boris’s water bowl, with a black rubber inside containing some dodgy looking vegetables and a 5litre plastic water container.  Now my mind was switching to juju… I confronted the boy with the things (who just gave his chilling evil laugh again) and took the plastic water container.  By this time Hanana had arrived and was talking to him in FraFra… unfortunately he wasn’t responding clearly and after another chilling evil laugh directed at Hanana it became clear this boy was ‘not all there’. Visions of juju and madness evaporated now I had a safe, secure and logic explanation (for the boys behaviour at least).  It became apparent he had been outside my gate since before light, wielding a slingshot and refusing to leave.  The neighbouring nightwatchman (who’s about 150 years old, as much good as a chocolate teapot and with no English to speak of) kept calling the boy a wizard…. In Ghanaian terms that means he should have been ‘put down’ at birth… not great.  Still the Wizard continued with his chilling evil laugh.  Eventually a passing neighbour recognised him and knew the family so walked him back, which was great, as I had spent about 10 mins trying to find out who he was, where he came from and why he was there with only a ‘There’s someone in your compound’ as an answer.  By 7am Kwame had arrive (yes this was all before 7am In the morning!) to do my washing and shortly after a couple of builders had turned up to sort out the gate and measure up for an iron gate on my front door (instigated by my frenzied phone call to the landlord at the crack arse of dawn.. I think he sensed the mad solomea in me at that point, hence the unusually prompt appearance of help).  They were all gone by 10 am and at this point I decided to go round to the poly tank to see what I could see… maybe there was someone there last night.  It was about this time I came face to face with the Biggest Turkey in the World just beside the house.  How had it been overlooked ALL morning?  Juju popped into my head again, while I tried to shoo the thing away whilst simultaneously wondering if I could keep it till Christmas.  It wasn’t budging, just shitting.  Someone had tied it to the house…then the pieces of the puzzle started to make sense; ‘Someone is in your compound’ probably translated to someTHING… ie a Turkey. The water running in the early hours of the morning, the plastic water container and boris’s bowl… water for the Turkey and the boy and the sling shot – protecting his... his pet Turkey?
I do have an overactive imagination at times but I have to be very grateful for the volunteers… they’ve been great. James turned up later that day and did all things practical to put some semblance of normal back again.  Ionut and Emma stayed with me the next night after a few beers and to Rhys stayed the following night until Thursday for a work assignment… but it was perfect timing.  He got the brother pleading for we can only presume the charges to be dropped. He’s lucky I wasn’t there. Now for the trial…  Let’s hope it’s an open and shut.  Taking the stand is going to be an experience…

No comments:

Post a Comment