Tuesday 11 October 2011

Begging a lift

Sometimes taxis just aren’t appropriate, there are no tro tro’s and you don’t have a moto, so…. you need to beg a lift.  It’s a well-used method of getting around in Ghana and it’s much more common (and safer) than hitching in the UK, and anywhere similar for that matter. On the first day back of my second week at work I was to meet a colleague to redraft a letter ‘just up the road’ at the Municipal GES Office.  Walking ‘just up the road’ in the midday sun is not a choice I was happy to bare on the way back as well as the way there so this was to be my first ‘beg a lift’ moment. 
I’d like to say I had seen my housemate ‘beg a lift’ to get us from the meal we had been invited to by the Programme Director who was visiting from Accra.  I’d like to say I learnt from her and like every new experience I took the bull by the horns, stood on the side of the road, placed my left hand on top of the right and moved it up and down as if to beg.  However, it appears I am so brilliant at begging a lift I am able to beg without moving a muscle.  In fact, the exact moment I reached the right side of the road and positioned myself to start to beg a driver simply pulled up and asked me if I wanted a lift.  Perfect.  Not a cedi swapped hands and practically door to door service.  I cannot tell you the amount of sweat this saved me.  I love Ghana!

No comments:

Post a Comment